Translate

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Day 9 of Crumpets 31 DC - Saran Wrap


Another day, another challenge.  Day 9 is saran wrap.  This mani can be done one of two ways.  Both start with a completely dry base color.  In one version you use saran wrap to "sponge" one or more colors on top of the base.  Place some polish on a paper or plastic plate, dip a wadded up ball of saran wrap in the polish and then blot it on the plate until you have the concentration of polish you are looking for.  Next, use the saran wrap ball to "sponge" the polish onto the nails.  This gives you a more random, open pattern than sponging with a makeup brush as the wrinkles leave space for the base color to show through.

The second version is the one I used.  Start with a completely dry base color.  One finger at a time, add a second color on top and let dry for a few seconds.  Then, using wadded up saran wrap, blot your nails.  This removes the top coat in a random pattern, allowing the base coat to show through.  You can get different looks with the length of time you allow the top color to dry.

As soon as I saw this challenge, I knew what I was going to do.  I have had the idea of trying to recreate the look of turquoises stone rattling around in my head for awhile.  The look I was going for was something like this.



Here's how it turned out.

   
What do you think?  I was very happy with how these turned out!  I started with two coats of Milani Chocolate sprinkles, then added China Glaze Cracked Medallion to imitate the veins of minerals in a natural stone.


 Next I added Pomegranate Mermaids Tale and sponged off with the wadded saran wrap.


I am so happy that this turned out the way I pictured it in my head!  Doesn't always turn out that way (tee hee).  I'm thinking that when this challenge is over I might do a whole series of semi precious stone manis.  What do you think?  One last pic and then I'll let you see all the other manis.




2 comments: